Sunday, May 12, 2013

Chanel Les Beiges Healthy Glow Sheer Powder Review

While looking around at Sephora when I was in Paris last month, I couldn't help but notice the random stands they had throughout featuring a new product from Chanel - Les Beiges Healthy Glow Sheer Powder (€48).  They had three or four shades available at the stands (I think they were No. 20 through No. 50) and I couldn't help but stare at them - then I saw the price tag.

I walked straight away from the stand, I couldn't believe how much they were charging for bronzer!  It never occurred to me that it was a setting powder, because for someone as pale as me, those shades are bronzing shades.

A few weeks later, I walked into my local Douglas and was browsing the Chanel counter and came across Les Beiges again.  That's when I realized it was actually a setting powder (though, of course, you could also use it as a bronzer if you went up a shade or two).  After doing some research, I decided to bite the bullet and buy it!



There's a bit of a trend going on with the 'new generation of powders' with options like this and the new Hourglass powders (which I haven't tried yet).  I really like this trend, because I often find powders to be too cakey and too much for all over use, but Les Beiges is really good for not looking cakey (so long as you use the proper brush, I really can't stress this enough).

The cool thing about Les Beiges is that it's really a multi-purpose product.  As I previously mentioned, you could use it as a bronzer (though you need to go up a shade or two), you could use it as a finishing powder over your foundation, or you could use it in place of foundation (if you have really good skin).



On first application, I decided to use it in place of foundation, but I just found that it was too light of coverage.  I tried it again the next day and applied too much of it (due to using the wrong brush - the Real Techniques Buffing Brush, use a Kabuki brush or a mineral powder brush like the Sephora Mineral Powder Brush) and felt a bit cakey.  On the third day, I finally got the hang of it and applied the right amount with the proper brush and fell in love.




Les Beiges looks matte upon first glance, but if you look closer you'll notice there is a tiny bit of shimmer in it.  It doesn't look like you have shimmer on your face when you wear it though, it's just enough shimmer to give you a natural, healthy glow.

For reference, I use the shade No. 10, which is the lightest shade.  It's a neutral-toned powder, but compared to the rest of the lineup, which is very warm-toned, it looks quite cool.  I like that it's more of a neutral tone, because I often find powders to go either warm or cool and this is really nice for me, as I am more neutral-toned.

I also just want to take a second to talk about the beauty that is the packaging of Les Beiges.  This is the first time Chanel has not used black packaging with a white logo, instead it's off-white packaging with a black logo and it is stunning.  My only issue with the packaging is that the brush sits on top of a flimsy piece of plastic - whereas I would have preferred a little door for the brush to be kept in, especially considering the price!

Overall, I'm happy with this purchase, but I would definitely say it's not a purchase to rush into, make sure you do your research first!

For those of you in the US, I've heard that this won't be released until August, so keep your eyes out for it when it launches :)

Longevity: 4.5/5
Pigmentation: 4.5/5
Packaging: 5/5
Texture: 5/5
Application: 4.5/5
Value For Money: 4/5 
Overall Rating: 9.17/10


No comments:

Post a Comment