Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Neutral-Toned Foundation Finds!

In my experience, it always seems the Beauty World seems to be broken into two distinct sections: Warm-toned and Cool-toned.  You either have Yellow or Pink undertones.  You're either a Summer or a Spring, a Winter or a Fall.  But then there are those of us that don't fall into any of those categories, but a completely different one: Neutral.

Ever since I started to get more into Make-Up and Beauty products, I've always struggled finding foundations that work for me.  I'm naturally fair and don't like to tan, so finding foundations to match that is difficult in itself, then add my neutral coloring to the mix and it becomes damn near impossible.

I spent a good year thinking I was cool-toned, then once I discovered my foundation didn't actually match my skin at all, I spent another 6 months thinking I was warm-toned, only to be called cool-toned by a couple Make-Up Artists.  I was confused, to say the least.  Then, around April of this year (recent discovery - what), I finally realized that the reason pink-toned foundations didn't work for me and yellow-toned foundations were just too yellow on me was because I have neither pink nor yellow undertones, but beige ones!

Since having neutral coloring is something unusual, it's sort of pushed to the side in the beauty world, but I wanted to share 3 foundations with you that seem to work perfectly with my coloring (keep in mind that I'm pretty freaking pale), in hopes that this will save someone out there time and money trying to make pink and yellow-based foundations work when there's just no chance in hell they will.




First up (excuse the SUPER Intro, a lot of clearing up I wanted to share), is the Burberry Sheer Fluid Foundation in Trench No. 01 ($52).  This was the first foundation I ever tried that made me realize there was a foundation out there that actually matched my skin-tone.  This has a light-medium coverage and doesn't feel like I'm wearing foundation at all, despite the decent coverage.  It does have a distinct rose scent, which I love, but might put some people off it.  The longevity of this stuff is also really great and I've already got my sister hooked on it, too (though she wears Trench No. 02 as she has very pink undertones).  Trench No. 01 is very beige-based, making it a great choice for someone with fair, neutral skin like me.




Next is the Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation in 0 Porcelain ($47).  If you know anything about Bobbi Brown foundations, you'll know they have a yellow undertone to them.  However, this particular shade seems to be more on the neutral side.  After I bought it, I came home and played around with it, comparing the color to some other ones I own, and this seemed to have more pink in it than some of my yellow-based foundations, making it an ideal choice for me.  Though if you're neutral leaning cool (I'm slightly more neutral leaning warm, but I'm pretty much totally neutral), I'd give it a swatch first, just in case there's a little too much yellow in it.  This has light coverage and doesn't have the greatest wear-time, but it looks and feels like skin (hence the name - Skin Foundation).




Finally, the By Terry Sheer Expert in 2 Neutral Beige ($65) is another ideal choice for someone with true beige undertones.  When the Make-Up Artist at Space NK tested this out on me, it was perfect.  Literally, this is pretty much my exact skin color in a tube. Unlike the first two options, which are more on the luminous side, this has more of a matte finish, though not totally.  This is a sheer foundation, and has light coverage, with less coverage than the Burberry foundation, but more than the Bobbi Brown one.  If you're coloring is like mine: fair with beige undertones, this would be a really good option for you.  There's also a sister product to this, the Cover Expert, which offers more coverage if that's what you're looking for.

Obviously, not everyone can afford such high prices for foundation.  I personally think it's worth it, since finding neutral-toned foundation at the drugstore is nothing short of IMPOSSIBLE.  However, I have run across a couple purse-friendly options that might work:  Neutrogena Healthy Skin Foundation in Classic Ivory ($12.99) is a good neutral-toned option, though slightly too dark for me.  There's also the L'Oreal True Match Foundation ($9.99), which separates their shades into C (Cool), N (Neutral), and W (Warm).  I haven't tried this line out yet, but I have color-matched myself to N1, and will be picking this line up ASAP.

So, if you're sick of your foundation not truly matching your skin-tone, if you're sick of having to counteract your wrong-toned foundation with the other wrong-toned powder, or if you just want to try something new, I highly recommend all of these products!  I've used and loved them all and will continue to love them, as they're my three best color matches.

Any other great neutral-toned foundations that I missed?  Let me know, I'm always looking for a new foundation!

Follow with GFC on the sideof the page

No comments:

Post a Comment